Mt. Bromo: Into the Mouth of an Active Volcano

The fourth stop in our SEA by Train vacation in IndonesiaMt. Bromo.

I’ve always wanted to see an active volcano. By active, I mean something that is consistently spouting smoke or other materials. Mt. Bromo fits the bill.

So when the opportunity came, when we were planning a trip to Indonesia, I just had to include Mt. Bromo in our itinerary. Not only will we be able to see it from afar, we’ll actually stand at the rim of its crater.

Stairs to Mt. Bromo's crater in Indonesia

After crossing the Sea of Sand, the next challenge is to climb the 250 steps that lead to the edge of the crater. It is a considerably easy ascend, except that most of the concrete steps and railings have been destroyed during the 2011 eruption of Mt. Bromo.

It’s hard to keep sure footing as most of the steps are covered in ash and loose sand, particularly the right side (if you’re coming from Mt. Bromo’s base). This causes for most tourists to cram on just one side of the stairs, resulting in heavy foot traffic.

There are no viewing decks at the rim of the crater. The railings that were once there to prevent people from stepping too close to the mouth of Mt. Bromo are all but gone. Tourists have a space of about a meter or so to stand in and gaze at the steaming crater.

It can get crowded at the top, and maneuvering around tourists and the loose, sandy, uneven ground is a bit tricky.

From the viewpoint, where we watched the sunrise over Bromo, we were able to observe that Mt. Bromo expels smoke every 10 to 15 minutes. At the crater, you will hear a gurgling sound and a slight vibration of the ground before seeing the smoke come out of Mt. Bromo’s crater.

We bought a flower offering from one of the many hawkers there. She told us to make a wish before throwing the offering into the mouth of Mt. Bromo.

The view of the caldera from Mt. Bromo’s crater are just amazing!

Standing at the edge of an active volcano’s crater is something not everyone gets a chance to do. Feeling and seeing the immense power of nature helps put things in perspective. Sort of… Hahaha! An experience I wouldn’t hesitate doing again.

Watching the sunrise, crossing the Sea of Sand and climbing an active volcano, the Bromo leg is surely the highlight of our trip to Indonesia.

Now off to another active volcano. Mt. Ijen, here we come!

, , ,

25 Responses to Mt. Bromo: Into the Mouth of an Active Volcano

1. Rainbow Journal 7 July 2014 at 3:26 am #

Yup! For me, Bromo was the highlight of the entire trip.

2. Rainbow Journal 7 July 2014 at 3:25 am #

Climbing Bromo really wasn't that hard nor scary. It gets easier when you see a bunch of other people doing it. Hahaha!

3. Slick Master 6 July 2014 at 2:01 pm #

250 freaking steps. Much higher than the Lourdes Grotto in Baguio. But, hey, fantastic adventure as it seems, aye?

4. Alaine Yambot-Alejandrino 6 July 2014 at 11:54 am #

I wish I have the courage to visit or even go near an active volcano. Your photos are beautiful, as usual.

5. Jerome Lupisan 5 July 2014 at 5:02 pm #

Rainbow Journal , naresearch mo na rin pala. Amoy na amoy.

6. Rainbow Journal 5 July 2014 at 4:45 pm #

Climbing Bromo isn't really not that scary… Hehe!
    Perhaps you can add Bromo on your bucket list? :)

7. Rainbow Journal 5 July 2014 at 4:44 pm #

Mukhang maganda yang Kawah Putih. Puro sulfur din gaya ng Kawah Ijen. Sayang di kami napadpad dyan sa Bandung.

8. Jerome Lupisan 5 July 2014 at 4:24 pm #

Astig ng view. Noon ko pa nakikita sa mga pics ito at ang impression ko e parang China, yung sa mg Chinese epic movies. Nakalapit na rin ako sa bunganga ng isang bulkan dito, Kawah Putih, dito sa Bandung. Pero, mas malaki iyang sa Bromo.

9. Rommel Laguidao 5 July 2014 at 3:39 pm #

Breathtaking photos! I don't think I can do it haha. I mean, I'm scared (just looking at the photos) Great post!

10. Rainbow Journal 5 July 2014 at 8:55 am #

Hahaha! I think Taal is much like Bromo. Both sprung from an ancient volcano. Even their shape. Difference is, Bromo is surrounded by a Sea of Sand instead of a lake. :)

11. Millie Manahan 5 July 2014 at 6:07 am #

Amazing photos! I don't think I can be around an active volcano! hahahah… So far, Taal Volcano pa lang na experience ko, and mejo malayo pa ako sa crater nun hehehe.:)

12. Rainbow Journal 5 July 2014 at 5:42 am #

Thanks Chel! There are geologists who issue warnings and sometimes won't allow tourists to get near Bromo. Much like what they do with our very own Mt. Mayon.

I'm a freelance WordPress web developer. I designed and developed this blog with reader experience in mind. :)

13. Chel Inumerable 5 July 2014 at 3:17 am #

Amazing pictures! Made me feel like I was there too! Is it really safe to be around an active volcano? Also your website has a really cool layout!

14. Rainbow Journal 4 July 2014 at 6:00 am #

Hopefully you were able to get some tips from the Bromo series of articles. :)

15. Rainbow Journal 4 July 2014 at 5:59 am #

It is quite unnerving when the ground vibrates. Yeah, the railings were destroyed the last time Bromo had big eruption.

16. Kaycee Enerva 4 July 2014 at 3:05 am #

I hope I can go there someday I miss trekking!

17. Jennifer Lopez Gana 3 July 2014 at 4:10 pm #

I think I can do this. (yabang!), that slight vibration you mentioned before it expels smoke makes me nervous. And walang railing talaga ha? :-)

18. Rainbow Journal 3 July 2014 at 5:18 am #

Reading your blog makes me believe that you wouldn't think twice about climbing Bromo should you be in my position… :D

19. Rainbow Journal 3 July 2014 at 5:17 am #

Wikipedia says that there were instances when people fell into the crater or some were hit by rocks expelled by Bromo… Good thing I read about these after our trip, otherwise, I wouldn't have dared going up there. Or would I? :P

20. Andy Dela Cruz 3 July 2014 at 4:36 am #

Your first post on Bromo made me excited. Then this one came…I know it's cool to be close to an active volcano but….well….this needs a lot of thinking hehehe

21. Sherlane Fortunado 2 July 2014 at 3:02 pm #

Wow. Climbing in an active volcano :-).You are all brave climbing to its crater.! Although I know that an active volcano will not just erupt but i still find it creepy he he.

22. Rainbow Journal 2 July 2014 at 7:14 am #

Haven't really added all of them up. Hehe! But we usually allot at least 40K for a two-week trip. That's for two people (excluding air fare). Given all the places we went to in Indonesia, we went over that. Hahaha! The Bromo-Ijen tor was the most costly of all. :)

23. Dok Tour 2 July 2014 at 3:21 am #

Gah, you braved climbing a volcano! Ikaw na! I wish I could go there also! May I just ask how much did it cost your trip to Indonesia?

24. Rainbow Journal 1 July 2014 at 6:29 pm #

My rarely using the elevator at work paid off on this trip. Hahaha!
    When you have such a beautiful place as Bromo as your subject, almost all photos will come out nice. :)

25. Janice Lim 1 July 2014 at 3:06 pm #

Gosh, 250 steps are easy for you to climb? Wow! I'd be huffing and puffing no doubt. Haha! But it's nice up there ha. Really great photos, as usual. :)