Corregidor: Day Tour or Overnight? (Part 1 of 2)

For a quick out-of-town weekend getaway, we decided to visit the historical island of Corregidor for demographic (close to Manila) and economic (not a pricey vacation) reasons.

Corregidor Island's iconic ruins

We booked a Corregidor day tour and overnight package via Sun Cruises for Php 2,499/person, which is a pretty good deal, inclusive of:

• Roundtrip ferry transfers to Corregidor Island and back
  • Shrine, entrance and terminal fees
  • Guided Corregidor Island tour and buffet lunch
  • Accommodations at Corregidor Inn

Sun Cruises also offers Manila Bay sunset dinner cruise.

Ferry ride to Corregidor Island is about an hour where documentaries are shown and instructions are given on which tram (main transport on the island) to board. Each tram is accompanied by a guide; Our guide is both knowledgeable of Corregidor Island’s history and delivers the funniest jokes, making the tour more enjoyable.

The most photographed spot in Corregidor and definitely the highlight of the day tour for me are the barracks ruins.

With the first half of the Corregidor day tour done, we headed to Corregidor Inn for lunch, which was satisfying but nothing spectacular. Our guide tells us that the second half of the tour will be capped by the Malinta tunnel lights and sound show. My expectations are high since this costs an extra Php 150 if you are on day tour (included in our overnight package) and is often mentioned that it is conceptualized by national artist Lamberto Avellana.

After visiting a few more well tended monuments on Corregidor Island, we arrive at the tunnel. Excited much!

Malinta tunnel at Corregidor Island

The show started off well with a tremendous boom mimicking an explosion, some smoke and flickering lights; It went downhill from there. It became repetitive, most of the time you’re listening to a 5-minute narration while staring at a stationary photo. Lights and sound were also not utilized very well. The show was culminated with the Philippine national anthem, a proud moment.

Sun Cruise’s Corregidor Day Tour Package is very well coordinated, although it felt a bit rushed. The tour, excluding lunch, took about 4 hours. Not a very long time considering all the history and the beautiful places on the island. It leaves you wanting. Not much time to take photos as well.  As for the light show, although not really that well executed, I think is worth the Php 150 extra to complete the Corregidor experience.

After some photo op after the show, we boarded the tram and those on day tour headed for the docks. We, however (having purchased the overnight package), headed for the hotel.

Travel Date: January 2012

, ,

20 Responses to Corregidor: Day Tour or Overnight? (Part 1 of 2)

1. Rainbow Journal 29 April 2014 at 9:37 am #

Hi Samantha! In my opinion, the Day Tour is enough. Overnight in Corregidor can get a bit to expensive than it should be. :)

2. Samantha Isabel Coronado 22 April 2014 at 3:14 pm #

I've been to Corregidor before, but maybe I could try doing an overnight :)

3. Rainbow Journal 19 April 2014 at 8:54 am #

I'd say the time is about right to visit Corregidor again. Hehe! :)

4. Rainbow Journal 19 April 2014 at 8:53 am #

Hi Andy! Hope you'd have a great time when you visit Corregidor.

5. Slick Master 19 April 2014 at 6:39 am #

This should be interesting at all considering I've been on that place for only once… and that was 15 years ago.

6. Andy Dela Cruz 19 April 2014 at 5:31 am #

I would like to do this also. Thank you for giving me an idea

7. Rainbow Journal 17 April 2014 at 6:12 am #

Hi Ma Theresa! It's always nice to do things with friends. Makes it more memorable and fun. Hope they'd be able to go with you when you visit Corregidor. :D

8. Ma Theresa Montino 17 April 2014 at 3:53 am #

That's nice. I was actually searching the other week for packages. Kaso may friends were not replying eh. :( It's sad if I'm the only one to visit the place.

9. Rainbow Journal 16 April 2014 at 6:32 pm #

Glad you found this Corregidor article helpful Wena. Hope you get to tick this off of your bucket list soon! :D

10. Wena Palma Vargas 16 April 2014 at 4:34 pm #

I haven't been to Corregidor and hope to visit this year! Thanks for the info, I'm going to add this to my bucket list!

11. Rainbow Journal 16 April 2014 at 3:45 am #

That's a great plan. What a way to plan ahead. Hehehe! I think every generation needs to be reminded of our history and the brave men and women who fought for our freedom, and Corregidor Island is a good place to start.

12. Dizkarteng Noypi 15 April 2014 at 5:55 pm #

Thanks for this post sir :) Corregidor is one of the historical places in the Philippines that i would definitely travel & visit with my "future" children.hehe.. I would remind them of the courage of our brave heroes.

13. Jhojo Villas 15 April 2014 at 5:54 pm #

14. Rainbow Journal 15 April 2014 at 11:51 am #

I think a day tour to Corregidor would be a great addition to any vacation in the Philippines. :)

15. Mitch Ryan 15 April 2014 at 8:15 am #

I wish my family and I could visit Corregidor in one of our vacation to the Philippines.

16. Raymond Nicolas 15 April 2014 at 5:30 am #

Haha yes that's me. We went there kasi as field trip for our History class. Maybe if there's another time, I can consider staying for the night lol!

17. Rainbow Journal 15 April 2014 at 5:26 am #

Hahaha! Truly Rich and Truly Young, Raymond! :P
    Yeah, Corregidor Inn is the only accommodation on the island. I slept like a baby. Though it was a bit creepy knowing of all the things that happened there.

18. Rainbow Journal 15 April 2014 at 5:20 am #

Hi Jennifer! If you're kids are into history then a Corregidor tour would be a great experience for them. If not, they may find the tour a bit dragging. :)

Thanks. I'm a newbie WordPress designer. I like designing blogs. I think people who blog shows a lot of passion towards what they love to write about it. Your blog looks nice too. Simple and clean. :D

19. Jennifer Lopez Gana 15 April 2014 at 5:10 am #

It's really a good deal for 2,499. I've always wanted to visit Corregidor but I'm always having second thought if I'll bring my kids who's 10 and 7. Would you recommend to bring the kids or it's better if I'll travel only with my husband ? By the way sir, nice website design. I love the tabs per page post and photo slideshow. Newbie here :-)

20. Raymond Nicolas 15 April 2014 at 5:08 am #

I was also able to go to Corregidor when I was a freshman college which is not a very long time ago. LOL! But we only had a day trip. I didn't know there was a Corregidor Inn pala. Anyway, I hope there is no one naman na nagparamdam sa inyo nung gabi as there were stories of sightings there. :-)